Your rights & responsibilities

Information for our clients.

Anyone accessing our service has rights, and must commit to upholding other people's rights, too.

Your rights

You have the right to:

  • Privacy and confidentiality
  • A service free from abuse and discrimination including race, gender, identity, age, disability, marital status, political or religious beliefs, pregnancy, sexual orientation, parental/carer status and physical features
  • Be treated ethically with dignity and respect
  • Participate (via feedback or involvement)
  • Complain and feedback on services
  • Have complaints dealt with by a staff member not previously involved in the matter
  • Fair and prompt responses to concerns
  • Live without violence and fear
  • Receive information to make informed decisions
  • Make your own choices
  • Receive culturally sensitive support, including interpreters

Your responsibilities

You have the responsibility to:

  • Respect the rights of others
  • Respect the cultural background and privacy of others
  • Treat others with dignity
  • Refrain from racial, sexual, homophobic or any other forms of harassment or abuse
  • Make decisions for yourself
  • Keep appointments or cancel if necessary

GenWest acknowledges that children and young people accessing our service also have rights and responsibilities. Download this at the bottom of this page. This document also outlines what children and young people can do if they feel their rights have not been met, and how to leave us feedback.

What to do if you think your rights have not been met

We aim to provide a high quality service and would like to know if you have any concerns. Services or support will not be stopped in any way if we receive a complaint.

How to make a complaint:

  1. Discuss the situation with the staff member. This may solve the problem quickly.
  2. Contact the staff member’s manager, phone 1800 436 937 to enquire about who they are and how to contact them.
  3. Submit your complaint online. You can also email comms@genwest.org.au and we will ensure your complaint is passed on.
  4. Contact the Chief Executive Officer on 1800 436 937 or write to 317-319 Barkly Street, Footscray 3011.
  5. If you have a general complaint that hasn’t been resolved by steps 1-4, contact the Health Complaints Commissioner on 1300 582 113 or via 1300 582 113.
  6. If you have a housing complaint contact the Homelessness Advocacy Service (HAS) on 1800 066 256 or email has@chp.org.au.
  7. Alternatively, you could contact the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission on 1300 891 848, email complaints@veohrc.vic.gov.au.

Even if you don’t have a complaint, please fill in a feedback form to help us improve our service.

Download the PDF resource

Contact us

Call us

1800 436 937

Email us


Visit us

317-319 Barkly Street


Naarm/Melbourne VIC 3011

More info
Hand with GenWest local government areas